Business Licensing

Generally, any person or company that provides services or sells tangible products in the City of Springfield is required to have a business license. The City Code requires you obtain the license at least two weeks prior to beginning business.

Both home-based and commercial-based businesses are required to obtain a business license. Additionally, if your base of operations is outside city limits, but you conduct business inside Springfield, you will likely be required to obtain a business license.

There are almost 200 different categories of business license. The license category is assigned based upon the type of product or service you offer. While there are many similarities between license categories, the license fee and supplemental requirements are dependent upon both the business activity and location.

What is required to apply for a business license?

The business license application consists of questions regarding your business name, ownership, address, and activity. Depending on the type of business you operate, there may be industry specific regulations. The following information will provide examples of some license requirements and the related contact information.

Bond & Insurance

While many of the decisions regarding bonding and insurance are left to the discretion of the business owner, the City Code requires bonding and insurance as a license requirement for some industries. The following license categories are among those that must provide proof of bond and/or insurance prior to obtaining a license: Auction Houses, Auto Auctions, Auto Dealers, Auto Repossession Agents, Electrical Contractors, Gas Fitters, Mechanical Contractors, Plumbing Contractors, Coupon Sales, House Movers, Magazine and Book Solicitors, Pest Control, Sanitary Waste Haulers, and Tree Surgeons. Additionally, Missouri State Statute requires that any Contractor, House Mover, or Well Driller carrying a workers' compensation policy submit proof of such as a requirement of your license. Contractors, House Movers, and Well Drillers who are not required to carry workers' compensation will be required to sign a notarized exemption statement provided by the License Division.

If your business is required to provide proof of bond and/or insurance, as listed in the paragraph above, and you have questions regarding the requirements, please contact the License Division.
Missouri Retail Sales Tax License
All persons who are required by State Statute to have a sales tax license must provide proof of their sales tax number, a copy of the certificate, to the License Division as part of their business license application.  

For information regarding Missouri sales tax, as well as other Missouri taxes, please visit the Missouri Department of Revenue's website.
Contact Information:
Missouri Department of Revenue
Harry S Truman State Office Building
301 West High Street Jefferson City, MO 65101

Phone: 573-751-3505
Email: [email protected]
The drop-off location for packages and mail in the Truman Building is the Mail Service Center, Room 102, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more information regarding tax assistance, scroll down to the "Other Business Resources."

Health Inspection
If your business activity involves operating a 'food establishment,' proof of a health/food permit is required prior to issuing the license. Food permits are issued by the Springfield-Greene County Health Department. Find more food inspection information for businesses on the Health Department's website, including the definition of 'food establishment,' as well as information regarding the process.

Contact Information:
Springfield-Greene County Health Department
Food Inspections
320 E. Central St.
Springfield, MO 65802
Phone: 417-864-1017
Fax: 417-864-1466
Building Development & Zoning Approval
If you operate your business from a commercial location inside the city limits of Springfield, your business license application packet will include a page for “Zoning Approval.” The Zoning Approval application asks questions regarding the activity at your business address.  The form is reviewed by the Department of Building Development Services to ensure that the use is appropriate for the zoning given to the location.  
If your business location is currently, or will soon be, under construction, or you are planning to remodel, change the structural part of a building, or the mechanical systems, a building permit may be required.
If you operate your business from home inside Springfield, your business license application packet will include a “Home Occupation Questionnaire,” in addition to the Zoning Approval.  The City of Springfield Zoning Code does allow some types of businesses to operate from a residential address, so long as the business is conducted lawfully and does not produce a condition which causes a nuisance. 
For information about building permits or certificates of occupancy, please visit the City's Building and Zoning page.
Contact Information:
Busch Municipal Building
840 Boonville Ave, 1st Floor
Springfield, MO 65802
Phone: 417-864-1056
Email: [email protected]

Other Business Resources

Greene County Merchant License

Businesses operating as a merchant at a location within Greene County are required to obtain a Greene County Merchant license. Find out more on the Greene County Business Licensing website.

Contact Information:

Greene County Collector
940 N. Boonville Ave, Room 107
Springfield, MO 65802
Phone: 417-868-4036

Missouri Secretary of State

Do you have questions about registering a fictitious name, corporation, or limited liability company with the State of Missouri? Please visit the Missouri Secretary of State’s website.

Contact Information

Missouri Secretary of State
State Office Bldg Ste 624
149 Park Central Sq
Springfield, MO 65806
Phone: 417-895-6330
Email: [email protected]

Missouri Tax Assistance

For senior citizens, disabled taxpayers, or Veterans disabled as a result of military service, information on the Property Tax Credit is available on the Missouri Department of Revenue website offers information about the Property Tax Credit.

Additional income tax assistance is available to those who qualify from Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Centers (VITA) and American Association of Retired Persons (AARP). Office locations can be found at

Economic Vitality: City of Springfield

The Economic Vitality Department provides development assistance and incentives, and serves as project facilitators for major economic development projects to ensure timely approval of plans and permits. Get their Incentives Resource Guide (pdf) for handy information about the various financing incentives available.

Micro-enterprise Loan Program/Business Incentive Loan Program: The purpose of the City of Springfield Micro-enterprise Loan Program/Business Incentive Loan Program is to facilitate economic development through the establishment, stabilization, and expansion of micro-enterprises and small businesses.

Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG)

The Fat, Oils, and Grease (FOG) Management program applies to Food Service Establishments that discharge wastewater into the City of Springfield wastewater collection system.  Permitting and inspections may be required of your business.