Where's Mr. Walker?
Life-size statues of Mr. Walker have been installed in nine locations around Springfield. The presence of these brightly-colored statues is intended to reinforce existing crosswalk signage and serve as a visible reminder to both drivers and pedestrians to use and respect crosswalks.
Statues are located in the following locations:
- Park Central Square - Southwest corner directly in front of the Park Central Branch Library.
- Commercial Street - Crosswalk location near the intersection of Commercial Street and Robberson Avenue.
- Pythian Street & Patterson Avenue - Located near Lake Country Soccer and Cooper Tennis Complex facilities. This Walker loves playing soccer!
- Grant Avenue & Norton Rd. - Located at a crosswalk near the intersection.
- National Avenue & Trafficway Street - Located at the intersection across from Jordan Valley Commons, this red walker shows his support for the Springfield Cardinals.
- Campbell Avenue & Walnut Lawn Street – Located at the X-walk compliance board on the northwest corner, letting drivers know how they are doing with yielding to pedestrians.
- Sherman Avenue & Central Street – Located at the roundabout near OTC, Mr Walker reminds drivers to not just yield to oncoming vehicles, but to pedestrians as well.
- Division Street & Glenstone Avenue – Located at the X-walk compliance board on the northwest corner, this walker let’s people know how many drivers are currently choosing to yield to pedestrians at crosswalks.
- Monastery Street – Mr. Walker is alerting driver to the nearby trail crossing just down the hill near Twin Oaks Substation. Slow down!
Join in the fun!
SGF Yields encourages residents to show their support for pedestrian safety. Post your Mr. Walker selfies to social media using the hashtag #SGFYields. Photos may also be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please remember to practice safety while using smart phones or other devices near traffic.