The Human Resources Department is committed to hiring, compensating, and developing the city's workforce to ensure its ability to serve the citizens by strategically partnering with other city departments. We are dedicated to the fair and equitable treatment of all individuals whether citizen, applicant or employee by providing support, advice or guidance in an ethical, courteous and timely manner.
We encourage you to learn more about living in Springfield and working in Springfield.
The Human Resources Department:
- Employs about 20 people
- Has an annual budget of about $1.7 million
- Administers advancement and testing procedures
- Posts and advertises job vacancies, reviews applications, and interviews job candidates
- Creates and modifies job descriptions with City departments
- Coordinates pay and classification issues, including salary surveys
- Coordinates benefit programs
- Processes payroll deduction and changes
- Conducts city-wide employee training
- Administers Merit Rules and other policy and procedures
- Administers the Care Leave Plan and the Family Medical Leave Programs
- Coordinates compliance with the American with Disabilities Act
- Conducts collective bargaining with various labor groups
- Coordinates employee relations programs
- Processes employee complaints
- Manages the self-funded workers' compensation program
- Manages the self-insured health plan.