For food establishments
These guidelines will assist local restaurants, bars, nightclubs, microbrewery taprooms and other food service establishments in continuing to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
For food service establishments:
- Masks are recommended for employees and customers who are not vaccinated.
- Self-service buffets and counter seating are permitted.
- Use single service condiments (e.g. sugar, ketchup, creamer, salt) and utensils.
- Educate employees about how they can reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Employee Health Guidance
- Require employees to stay home if they are sick. or if they report to work with a symptom.
- Unvaccinated individuals (especially those at high-risk) should continue to wear a mask in public settings and practice physical distancing.
- Employees who are well but who have a sick family member at home with COVID-19 should notify their supervisor and follow CDC recommended precautions. CDC Guidance
- Encourage respiratory etiquette, including covering coughs and sneezes.
- Require hand washing/sanitizing by workers at appropriate places within the business.
- Clean and disinfect ill employee workstations immediately.
Cleaning and Disinfecting Guidance
- Application of the Missouri Food Code cleaning and disinfecting standards must be maintained in the kitchen at all times.
- Clean and sanitize registers, ATMs, and client credit cards regularly.
- Provide hand sanitizer at the entrance and exit of the establishment.
- Wear disposable gloves to clean and disinfect.
- Increase frequency of cleaning, sanitation or disinfection of all frequently touched surfaces in the dining area (e.g. door handles, counter tops, light switches, etc.) during hours of operations
- Clean and disinfect tables, chairs and menus after each patron’s use.
- For disinfection, diluted household bleach solutions at 10% bleach, alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol, and most common EPA-registered household disinfectants should be effective.
- For soft (porous) surfaces such as carpeted floor, rugs, and drapes, remove visible contamination if present and clean with appropriate cleaners indicated for use on these surfaces.
- If the items can be laundered, launder items in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions using the warmest appropriate water setting for the items and then dry items completely.
- For electronics, such as tablets, touch screens, keyboards, remote controls, and ATMs:
- Consider putting a wipeable cover on electronics
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and disinfecting
Physical Distancing Guidance for Employees and Patrons
- Businesses may continue to recommend employees and customers wear a mask regardless of their vaccination status.
- Businesses may continue to implement physical distance practices. Recognizing that this may be challenging, below are examples:
- Post signs, floor markings, etc. with clear instructions of steps employees and patrons should take to maintain physical distancing.
- Post signs informing patrons of their responsibility to stay home when presenting symptoms.
- Mark off six feet spacing for patrons standing in line or checking out and tables.
- Space kiosk/register six feet apart or use every other station.
- In retail spaces where employee/customer distancing cannot be maintained, a physical barrier should be used (plexiglass panel).