Masks and Face Coverings
The face-covering ordinance will expire in Springfield on May 27, 2021. It is still recommended that individuals who are not yet fully vaccinated continue to wear masks while in public.
The vaccine is a safe and effective way to protect yourself from COVID-19. Click here for more information, including frequently asked questions and where to access the vaccine.
When to wear a face covering:
- If you are not fully vaccinated, it is recommended that you wear a mask when you are in a public or group setting.
- Examples include, but are not limited to: retail stores including groceries, service establishments, schools, except those of higher education, other educational service providers, transportation services and associated waiting areas, public and private social clubs and sporting events.
- Masks are not required outdoors, however, they are still recommended if you are attending a large outdoor event OR if you have not yet been vaccinated against COVID-19.
How to wear a face covering:
- Make sure that it covers your nose and mouth at all times
- Wash your hands before touching your face covering.
- Use the ear loops or ties to put your face covering on.
- The face covering needs to fit snugly around your face, secured under your chin, and without any gaps, while still allowing you to breath without restriction.
How to remove your face covering:
- Wash your hands before removing your face covering.
- Use the ear loops or ties to remove the face covering. Do not touch the front of the covering, and do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth when removing it.
- Is it wet or visibly dirty? Wash it or throw away. Cloth face coverings need to be washed regularly.
- Store your face covering inside something clean, like a paper bag or Ziploc bag. Your purse or pocket doesn’t cut it.
- Wash your hands again!
Vaccine is our best defense against COVID-19!
Face coverings and kids
Here are a few resources for tips on getting kids to wear face coverings.
NOTE: Face coverings are not recommended for children under the age of 2.