Civilian Police Careers
Our Records section within the Police Department is comprised of the majority of our non-sworn employees that serve both the community and the Department. This is a great opportunity for someone who loves fast-paced, customer-focused work. Police Services Representatives relay critical information to Officers, take reports from community members, and complete a variety other of administrative work.
Qualifications for the Police Services Representative position include:
Minimum of 2 years experience in a multi-task, high public contact work environment; or
30 semester credit hours from an accredited college or university in Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement, Office Systems, Business Administration or related area; or
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the incumbent with the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
Some of the other non-sworn positions within the Police Department include: (Click to view job description and qualifications.)
- Computer Forensic Analyst
- Investigative Services Specialist
- Crime Research Analyst
- Traffic Services Officer
- Submit your application here.
- A Recruiter will carefully screen your application to ensure you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
- If you qualify, you will be invited to a computer skills and typing test. You will be tested on typing, sentence clarity and proofreading; which are all important skills for success in the Police Services Representative position.
- Next, we will invite you to an interview with a Recruiter and a leader of the Records Division. You will be notified shortly after your interview of your status.
- The final phase before a job offer is a comprehensive background check.
- Next, you will be given a conditional job offer and a pre-employment drug screen.
Our Recruiters will provide timely updates throughout the hiring process. Click here to read about the City of Springfield's hiring process and to read interview advice.
Police Services Representatives earn $17.85-$23.98 per hour.
Police Services Representatives who meet the requirements may be eligible to career ladder into a Police Services Representative II position. The pay range for this position is $18.54-$27.49 per hour.
City employees enjoy great benefits, including the following:
- Employee health insurance is 100% paid for by the City;
- A great pension retirement that doesn't cost you anything;
- A free gym at work with upgraded equipment to use 24/7;
- Tuition reimbursement;
- And more... check out our benefits here.
The Police Services Representative position is critical to operations and there are three shifts (shift preference determined by seniority.) These shifts include the following:
- Sunday - Thursday or Tuesday - Saturday:
- 1st Shift: 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- 2nd Shift: 3:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. ($1.00/hr shift differential)
- 3rd Shift: 11:00 p.m. - 7:00 a.m. ($1.50/hr shift differential)