News Releases

Springfield Fire Department News Releases

Posted on: February 11, 2021

Cooking fires remain top cause of accidental residential fires in Springfield


During 2020, the Springfield Fire Department responded to 53 residential cooking fires, with 68% of these fires occurring in single family dwellings, while the remaining 32% were in multi-family dwellings. Grease fires and unattended cooking remain the leading type of cooking fire.  

Kitchen fires are preventable.  Below are some reminders to keep you and your family safe:

  • Never leave your pot or pan unattended. A small flame can turn into a major fire in less than 30 seconds! 
  • When cooking, heat oil slowly and add food gently to prevent splatter.
  • If the pan or pot is on fire, do not attempt to move it to the sink or take it outside.  This can cause the fire to quickly spread and increases the chances of burn injuries.
  • Never throw water on a grease fire. 
  • Fire needs oxygen and heat to survive. To remove the oxygen, smother flames by sliding a lid over the pan.  Then remove the heat by turning off the burner if it is safe to do so. Do not remove the lid until the pan is cool to the touch. 
  • Keep a working fire extinguisher accessible to your kitchen and check it monthly to make sure it is not expired. If you have a small fire and use your extinguisher, exit and go to your meeting place, closing the door behind you to help contain any fire. Call 9-1-1 once safely outside.
  • Do not re-enter your home until the Fire Department lets you know it is safe to do so. 

 Fire Chief David Pennington encourages every household to have an escape plan and practice it at least once per year.  

“Fires happen fast. Having a well-practiced escape plan is important for your safety should a fire occur,” he said. “It is also very important to have working smoke alarms, and to test your alarms monthly.” 

Smoke alarms should be installed and maintained in every sleeping room, outside each sleeping area, and on every level of your home, including the basement.   

The Fire Department provides free smoke alarms to Springfield residents, and may be requested by calling Fire Department Headquarters at 417-874-2300 or by email to [email protected]..

View this PSA about cooking fires:

# # #

For media only: For more information, call the Springfield Fire Department media line at 417-874-2301.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Springfield Fire Department News Releases

West Monroe Terrace fire victim named

Posted on: October 11, 2019