The Springfield-Greene County Health Department is reminding the community that Greene County is still considered an area of Substantial Transmission by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. The 7-day average case rate is currently 38 daily cases, slightly down from a 7-day average of 40 new cases per day at the beginning of October. We sadly lost 12 lives during the month of October due to complications of COVID-19, and as of today, there are 55 patients hospitalized.
While October’s numbers indicate a stable rate of new COVID-19 cases with no large spikes and a decline in hospitalizations, our 7-day average for new cases remains more than twice what it was before the Delta variant hit our community.
We continue to encourage our community to initiate and complete their COVID-19 vaccinations to help decrease the average number of new cases. While we surpassed 50% of our community initiating vaccine in October, 48% of people in Greene County remain unvaccinated. With every individual that completes their vaccination, our community becomes better prepared for new COVID-19 variants and future surges as the virus continues to evolve.
The Health Department remains as a resource to our community, and we encourage everyone to utilize the regional COVID-19 call center at (417) 874-1211 or visit vaccine417.com for a full list of vaccine opportunities and information. All doses and boosters are available at the Health Department Vaccination Clinic, open Monday through Friday from 9 am to 4 pm, and located at 1425 E. Battlefield Rd.
Data for October 1 – 31
Number of new COVID-19 cases:
- 1,310 compared to 1,754 cases in September
Difference in seven-day average:
- The 7-day average on October 31st was 35.6, down from 40.9 7-day average on October 1st.
Difference in hospitalizations:
- 62 individuals were treated for COVID-19 in Springfield hospitals on October 29th, down from 79 on October 1st.
- 12 deaths occurred in the month of October compared to 18 deaths in September
*This number represents confirmed COVID-19 deaths that occurred in October. This number could change based on delayed reports.
Average age of death: 60.33
Number of vaccine doses administered among Greene County residents:
- Residents who became partially vaccinated in October: 3,879.
- Residents who became fully vaccinated in October: 4,138.
- Total doses administered (all doses including boosters): 15,938
Number of hospitalizations:
- 45 hospitalizations
- 17 are Greene County residents
Number of Greene County residents unvaccinated:
- 48% of Greene County residents 12 and older are not fully vaccinated.
- According to the CDC, 32% of Americans 12+ are not fully vaccinated.
Cases by vaccination status (among cases where the vaccination status is known):
- Since January, 91.5% of individuals who tested positive for COVID-19 were not vaccinated.
Additional information, including daily updates, can be found on the Health Department’s COVID-19 dashboard at http://health.springfieldmo.gov/coronavirus
Media may contact the Health Department PIO Team by call or text at 417-380-2556 or email at [email protected].
Springfield-Greene County Health Department
“Helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.”
health.springfieldmo.gov | facebook.com/SGCHD | twitter.com/SGCHD
227 E. Chestnut Expressway