FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Springfield Fire Department has a few reminders to keep you and your family safe on Thanksgiving.
- Do not leave the kitchen unattended when cooking.
- If deep frying a turkey, use caution and do so outdoors and away from combustibles.
- Keep children 3 feet away from the stove and any hot food or liquids.
- Keep knives out of the reach of children.
- Keep the floor clear of items to prevent trip-and-falls.
- Be sure electric cords from appliances are not dangling off of counters within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children or in a locked cabinet.
- Never leave children alone in a room with a lit candle.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
“A working smoke alarm is your best way to be alerted of a fire, and alarms should be replaced every 10 years,” says Fire Chief David Pennington. If you need a new smoke alarm visit https://www.springfieldmo.gov/1990/Smoke-Alarms or contact the Springfield Fire Department at [email protected] or 417-874-2300 to request one.
For media only: For more information, call the Springfield Fire Department media line at 417-874-2301.